The (Church) Mouse June, 2016
...excerpts from the monthly newsletter of the First Presbyterian Church of Yellville, Arkansas
“Reclaimed: A Perfect God Using Imperfect People"
Youth Choir from St. Louis will be visiting Yellville First Presbyterian Church! Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 10:30 a.m. This will be a youth-led worship service filled with music, scripture and stories telling how God uses our imperfections to perfect God’s plan. There will be stories of Moses, Mary & Martha, Doubting Thomas, and student testimonies. The youth will be joining us for potluck after the service before they head back to St. Louis.
"Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave His charge:
“God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet,
far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son,
and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you
as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18-20 (The Message)
Responding to the Great Commission by Jesus after His Resurrection, a group from our church is planning a mission trip to Guatemala. Session has authorized $1500 to be given to Habitat for Humanity to purchase materials and build -- 10 smokeless stoves – 10 water purification systems – 1 sanitary latrine.
Many native Guatemalans die young from water borne illnesses and breathing smoke that damages their lungs. Since most of us can’t go to the mission field, we can otherwise aid our group. The finances will be raised through the Noisy Offering and the Chili/Soup Cookoff and Bazaar. We realize there is great need in the world today. Most of us have limited resources and must decide where they can be best used. Everyone can choose where and how they can and would like to help.
5th Annual Spring Sing: Wednesday, June 8th 6:00 p.m.
Are you ready for a nice, relaxed evening full of singing, fellowship and fun? Then mark your calendar for 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 8th. That evening you’ll have the opportunity to select your favorite songs, either from the Heavenly Highways or our Hymnal, for the congregation to sing. The choir will be sharing some of their favorite choir anthems! After we’ve had our fill of singing, we’ll finish off the evening with a light supper! Come join us and bring a friend!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
- To all who donated items for the moms goodies bags for Serenity House.
- All who donated Pringles for Patriots.
- To all those that help set up and tear down tables for our luncheons during the year.
- Roger Bates for setting up our tables every week for Ladies Bible Study.
We will be providing a light dinner for the Grief Support Group that meets here at our church on Thursday, June 23 at 5:00 p.m.
Women's Ministry activities will be taking the summer off with the exception of the Ladies Bible Study which will continue to meet. If you would like to be a part of this ministry in the fall, please contact any one of the Leadership Team: Nancy Martin, Linda Vincent, Pat Hall, Carolyn Sims or Kay Kelly.
It’s time to give our Sunday School teachers, pianist, choir members, and director some much deserved time off. This will give thema chance to spend time with friends andfamily, go on vacation or just rest!
- The first half of the 2016 Adult Sunday School Class will come to an end on June 5, with the completion of the N.T. Wright Study, “Surprised by Hope”. The final two sessions are entitled, “The Hope of Salvation” & “The Hope of the Church”. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the good attendance and discussion sessions we have enjoyed this year. Classes will begin again in September with a new study yet to be determined.
- The choir will sing their final Sunday morning anthem on June 5th and then put the final touches on the season Wednesday, June 8th with our 5th Annual Spring Sing.