- by Edie Kate Hampton
...Contributed December, 2016
|1 10-pound pumpkin (preferably an African pumpkin)||2 bay leaves|
|½ cup olive oil||salt and pepper|
|1 large onion, chopped||2 cups heavy cream (optional)|
|6 cloves garlic, chopped||2 lbs shrimp, peeled, cooked and chopped|
|¼ cup chopped parsley||½ cup (1 stick) cold butter, chopped|
|8 cups chicken stock||¼ pound Swiss cheese, shredded (garnish)|
- Cut off top of the pumpkin and set aside. Remove seeds, being careful not to puncture the sides of the pumpkin. Remove the pumpkin meat with a spoon, still being careful not to puncture the sides. Cover pumpkin shell and set aside. Chop pumpkin meat.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped pumpkin, onion, garlic and parsley.Cover pot and saute for about 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft. Add stock, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- After 10 minutes, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Place mixture in a food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Saute shrimp; chop and add to soup.
- Add cream if desired, warming to serving temperature over low heat.
- Remove pot from head and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Whip in butter.
- Pour soup into pumpkin shell to serve. Garnish with Swiss cheese.
Yield: 8 servings